about mmog37

Husband, father, mentor, writer, and motivational speaker are the hats I wear, in a weird sort of way they all kind of fit together. I am learning all about life and God's Love through my everyday adventures & experiences as a parent. :) Wanna no more about me... Fun Facts about MMOG37 Twitter? Follow Me @mmog37

about this blog

This is my spot were I "think out loud." Often sarcastic sometimes humorous but always enlightening personal blog of mmog37. Enjoying this journey called life and writing about the things that influence my world the most...Faith, Family & Friends

Let It Go....

What is it about us that makes us want to hold on to stuff?

That is the big question (I'd love to hear what you think.) I recently relocated my office and during the move I had to go through a lot of stuff to decided what I actually needed to keep and what things I needed to get rid of. Let me rephrase that so it is more accurate. My wife, stepped in and with those amazing organizational skills of hers had me go through all of my junk to see what I actually need to relocate to the new office

You see, the last time I relocated I did it by myself. My intention was to surprise her by moving into a new office, while she was on a trip. (I need to stop watching HGTV) I had a short window of opportunity, so I concentrated more on speed than I did organization. Basically all I did was scoop up as much stuff as I could carry and transported it from the old office to the new one. By the time I had everything moved I had one really big mess. I started off good but as time went on I got tired and I just wanted to be finished. Long story short, I learned that I should leave stuff like that to the professionals.

So when I relocated this time, I let my wife (the professional) handle the details. She came up with the plans and then we both implemented them. Part of the plan was to get rid of stuff that we did not need in the office. Which brings me back to the question I asked at the start. What is it that makes people want to hold on to things? As I sat going through old letters and files, I kept asking myself what was the big deal. Hard as it was I eventually began to clear out the old stuff and get rid of the things that I no longer needed. (I didn't have choice as my wife said that junk wasn't coming anywhere near the new office space.)

I learned a few things during the whole ordeal:

  • The old/unnecessary stuff was occupying space that could have been being used for current projects, and in reality it was slowing down production simply by being there.

  • By continuing to let that stuff accumulate, and not go through it, I was cultivating bad habits

  • The biggest thing however was that a portion of the clutter, was a collection of unfinished personal projects. I go all out for my clients and customers, but I always manage to put my own projects on the back burner. In a weird sort of way I was slowly sending myself a message that my stuff was unimportant

I have to admit that I am really glad that my wife came to the rescue, I have been loving working in my new office and my productivity has actually increased dramatically. My lesson on clutter has also made me aware of a spiritual principle as well. I can see where the tendency to hold on to things and let the clutter pile up, goes beyond the tangible. We tend to hold on to old feelings and emotions, old ideas and mindsets, we even hold on to old plans and schemes that should have been tossed a long time ago. If those weren't enough we also tend to hold on to old painful memories and that list of things that people did to us...

The same way that my office clutter was taking up too much space, hampering my productivity and wasting resources, the non-tangible clutter produces a similar effect, taking up too much space in our minds and hearts, hindering and slowing our forward progress and keeping us from new positive experiences.

Clutter of any kind does more harm than good...if you want to increase your productivity, have new positive experiences and enjoy life...then you need to get rid of the junk. Let it go...Let it go.