about mmog37

Husband, father, mentor, writer, and motivational speaker are the hats I wear, in a weird sort of way they all kind of fit together. I am learning all about life and God's Love through my everyday adventures & experiences as a parent. :) Wanna no more about me... Fun Facts about MMOG37 Twitter? Follow Me @mmog37

about this blog

This is my spot were I "think out loud." Often sarcastic sometimes humorous but always enlightening personal blog of mmog37. Enjoying this journey called life and writing about the things that influence my world the most...Faith, Family & Friends

Daddy Dearest...

Father's day has come and gone, and it time for me to get back to into the swing of things. I treated myself to an impromptu vacation for a few days. Actually the truth is I really needed those few days to sort our some of the thoughts that were running around my head about Father's Day.

I don't talk about it much but it has been 4 years since my father passed away. I know you aren't supposed to talk bad about the dearly departed...but I think my Dad got me again!

Since I was a kid my Dad always had to have the last laugh. He was the most stubbornest person in the world (second to me) As I grew older I actually thought that I could reason with him and that he would actually acknowledge that I was right for a change...but it never played out that way. I would try to talk to him and just when I thought I had proven my point...he would dismiss me by saying "I'm right and your wrong because I'm the dad!

After years of losing I gave up trying to reason with that guy, and once I joined the military and left home I didn't look back. Every once in awhile when I would call home, I would have this small hope that maybe he would let me get a word in..but he would always manage to say his fill and then just as I was about to express myself he would pass the phone to my mother.

If it wasn't for my wife I probably would have never try talking to him ever again...but God bless my wife for helping me see that if I didn't forgive my dad for his antics that I would be sowing bad seeds for my relationship with my own son. (I still remember arguing with her demanding that she not send that man a Father's Day card...she never did listen to me LOL)

As the years went by and I began to grow up a little (just a little) I no longer felt the need to get a word in edgewise and I actually learned how to beat him to the punch. When we would talk on the phone I would let him fuss or say whatever he wanted to me...but once I felt like it was enough I knew just how to shut him up...I would pause...take a deep breath...and the say Dad, I love you...and every time it would catch him off guard and he would quickly toss the phone to my mom. :) (It was beautiful and entertained me to no end)

The years continued to go by and I actually managed to have some real conversations with him on the phone. When he called me a few years ago and asked me to come home and help him out...I didn't hesitate...I said goodbye to my friends and my west coast family and made the move back to the Midwest. All during the drive back home I was entertaining the notion that I would finally get to spend some time with my Dad and get to know him...unfortunately two days after arriving back home...he passed away.

It finally dawned on me on Father's Day...that my Father knew I had swore never to come back to this place...and now I'm here and he's not...once again he has the last laugh!