about mmog37

Husband, father, mentor, writer, and motivational speaker are the hats I wear, in a weird sort of way they all kind of fit together. I am learning all about life and God's Love through my everyday adventures & experiences as a parent. :) Wanna no more about me... Fun Facts about MMOG37 Twitter? Follow Me @mmog37

about this blog

This is my spot were I "think out loud." Often sarcastic sometimes humorous but always enlightening personal blog of mmog37. Enjoying this journey called life and writing about the things that influence my world the most...Faith, Family & Friends

Big But Bug!

We were out working in the yard a few weeks ago and I noticed a large bug buzzing around. It was much larger than a bee and when it's wings were moving it looked like a flying dart.  It was so busy buzzing around my daughter's head that it didn't see me creep up on it with a Badminton racket in my hand...that was the end of his buzzing around.  I snapped a quick picture of it with my cellphone.  Looking at the bug triggered memories of a few of our Home school adventures.  

Wanting to give my children more than just text from a book my wife and I decided to do as many hands on interactive lessons as possible.  When it came time to study insects we invested in a Bug Viewer so that our children could study live bugs and get a better understanding of their anatomy as well as see how they move and function.

One of the first bugs we managed to capture and study was a wasp.  We knew that our study lessons would take a few days so we wanted to keep the wasp alive for the duration, so we began feeding him 100% Grade A Maple Syrup.  It took us about a week to finish up all of the lessons and to our amazement the wasp survived.  In fact he seemed to be quite healthy and active.

Since our lessons were done we decided to release the wasp.  So one morning while we were on a break from classes we took the wasp outside, said goodbye and set him free.  We went out later on that day and ran a few errands.  When we returned home we were shocked to see our wasp friend hanging on one of our front windows.  We decided to leave him alone, figuring that eventually he would get back to his old routine or return to his original home.  He didn't!

Day after day for about a week that wasp hung right there at our front window looking for some way in.  We had corrupted him...turned him into a maple syrup crack-head.  I can't say that I blame him though, why fly around being a busy doing wasp type things and fighting with other bugs when you can just sit and look pretty while getting stuffed on Maple Syrup.

Our encounter with the wasp provided a perfect segway for me to talk to my children about addiction, and how it strong and devastating addictions can be.  I explained to them that the best way to beat addictions is to never get addicted.  It was the start of many talks regarding the subject.  A lot of parents avoid the issue altogether or they wait until it's too late to talk about it.  Some parents just want to believe that there kid(s) are so good that they will never fall victim to addiction...me I am just thankful for the wasp incident and that it provided me with a perfect opportunity to explain it to my children in a way that they could understand.   Hmmm...imagine that all these thoughts triggered by catching a big but bug! :)

Thanks for reading!